E3 Shenanigans
by Margaret Krohn on June 16th, 2012

Hello lovelies!

Things have been crazy in my little section of the world. I have been so busy with work that I have gotten very little game time. I do have some Diablo III and Guild Wars 2 footage highlights from my livestream that i'd like to share with everyone on my YouTube. I'm thinking about doing some reviews or at least stating my opinions of them as well. Super excited about that and hopefully everyone enjoys it.

E3 was interesting this year. I got to be a part of the event and represent the PlanetSide 2 development team. I've worked previous E3s, but I had never done something like this before. I got to cast with TotalBiscuit which was rad! I've been following him for a long time, so it was really cool to be able to not only meet him, but also get to cast with him. I've been getting asked how it was to work with him and honestly, he's a great guy and it was very natural. He's very much a go with the flow kind of person and he truly loves PlanetSide so that made it easy to talk to him and compare things to the original game.
The event went really well for PlanetSide 2. We were nominated for 43 awards and we've won 20 so far, runner up with one...That ratio is fantastic in my opinion and we well exceeded my expectations. I was not expecting people to have this kind of reaction to the game. I hope this gets our game's name out there more.

You can listen to me rant more about this and my general life in the vod below. :)
As far as the rest of E3 goes, I am unimpressed with the direction E3 has been going. More and more companies are doing "exclusive" sections which isn't the problem at all! I don't mind the exclusive feel of having people line up and wait in anticipation to check out your game. It also gives people that "hey, there's a lot of people over there, I wonder what's up with that game" mentality, BUT the problem for me is when I wait in line and all I get to do is watch someone show me a video with a very small demo instead of letting me get some hands on action. The best way for me to assess a game is to actually play it.
I said this in the following vlog above, but I want to know how games that don't show any actual hands on game footage get nominated for awards. How are reviewers calculating a games worth if they don't even get to play the game? I hope someone can answer that. I mean, for me, I would rather give awards to games that I got to play rather than just watch a video of that is obviously scripted.

Anyway, I hope everyone got to check out some of the games they liked. I know a lot of review sites are sharing footage, photos and other what nots, so be sure to check those out and let me know what games you're most excited about and why! I can't wait to read them.

<3 x 9001,

/Maggie

Posted in Blog, Vlog    Tagged with E3, E3, E3 2012, PlanetSide 2, PlanetSide, Guild Wars 2, Diablo III, Diablo 3, GW2, DB3, Vlog, Blog

7 Comments

Colby Wahl - June 16th, 2012 at 9:07 PM
I am most excited for Planetside 2 of course :) And dishonored!!
Margaret Krohn - June 17th, 2012 at 4:41 AM
Why are you dishonored? D:
Jum-Jum - June 17th, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Uhm... not sure if trolling or... the game Dishonored. :|
Hagaroth - June 16th, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Hello , for start congratulation about all the E3 reward you have won you have deserved it , you and the other dev's doing a good job with the game so far and you always keep the community aware of the game developpement, I personnaly appreciate it.

It was quiet fun to see the stream with TotalBiscuit and you and finally see all this stuff from the game and it looked quiet good from my view ( just some little thing who seems quiet unbalanced :P) but I really wait the release of the beta now.

So for the question about what game I am the most excited : it's simple PS2 because the game looked so gorgeous I really want to play it right now. Any other game excited me that much maybe Halo 4 if I have some money to waste because the trailer really have a good look and maybe the armored warrior DLC from Dice because I don't find the new one good.

For finish just have to say to continue on this way about the game developement and if you have some time your livestream too :).

Hag'
Margaret Krohn - June 17th, 2012 at 4:43 AM
oO yeah! I forgot to talk about Halo 4. They didn't have a demo I could play which made me a bit sad. =( I'm looking forward to it though. So far, what I've seen of Halo 4 all looks good.

I'll definitely continue doing what I do and I'll try to do some more normally scheduled livestreams. Maybe, I can get myself on a schedule where I do it once a week even when my work week is a bit crazy.
Will - June 17th, 2012 at 8:27 AM
I thought Watch Dogs looked very intriguing and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of it. Although (as expected) the PS2 footage was outstanding, and has really really got my hyped up for the game. Both you and TB were extremely interesting, funny and engaging which I think is one of the most important things, you're want people to enjoy listening to you after all!
Margaret Krohn - June 17th, 2012 at 6:11 PM
Watch Dogs reminds me of a very modern GTA game. Not that that's a bad thing! Definitely looking forward to seeing more of it. And thanks for the kind words about the E3 commentary, I'm glad some people found it interesting and funny. :)