RE: Why Girls Suck At Gaming
by Margaret Krohn on July 3rd, 2012

This is going out to the "guy gamer", Mr. Adam Colon, who decided to write an article about "Why Girls Suck At Gaming", but continued on to not really explain why girls suck at gaming. Did he give us statistics on competive female gamers? Did he have two equally matched gamers - one female and one male - go toe to toe in an epic best of five match? Did he discuss anything relevant to being good at gaming? No. Instead, he gives us his indepth opinion about gamers of the female gender and developers and their hiring tendencies in what he tries to pass as a humorous gaming industry post.
I detest the term "girl gamer". It's really annoying, but I suppose people will generalize because that's what they do. Anyway, I wouldn't have written my own blog about this topic, but he sent me a Twitter message that said, "5%" and that's it. This made me LAUGH out loud because seriously...Your article title for that section was titled, "Reasonable Game Designers Ignore Girls". Then you proceed to say that, "5% of game programmer’s are women" (by the way, no apostrophe is needed there). Designers are most often NOT programmers. In most game development companies, these two job titles are completely separate. Now, add that 5% of programers to the designers, artists, marketing, PR, QA, and CS staff that are female and in the game development process. DEVELOPERS are not just programmers or just artists. Developer is a term for anyone who helps create games. Designers are a specific field in the industry and so are programmers. I'd like to note that a lot of companies go OUT of their way to find more female developers. Double Fine is a great example! SOE even has a G.I.R.L scholarship program!

You proceed to say, "Real games are not designed and brought to market with girls as their target demographic. Which means, that girls don’t play games as much as men because the selection is so thin." What do you consider a "real" game? A game that takes money, time and effort from various developers of all sexes? I sure hope so. If so, a lot of games whether casual or hardcore can fit into this category. If games, as you say, are not advertised to women, then don't you think that is the reason that some women don't find those games? Not that they aren't interested in those types of games, the commercials and ads are just not placed in areas they frequent. This seems to be more of a marketing problem and less of a "girls don't play games and that's why they don't advertise games to women".

If you say that 42% of gamers are women, do some research on that 42% of women. If they are gaming, are their "interests" in gaming really "low"? Do they really think gaming is "beneath them"? No! They are gaming because they love gaming and they want to game! Whatever game that may be.

Women are social so they all of a sudden don't like gaming? Games are filled with social interaction, especially "VIOLENT AND COMPETITIVE" games. I know a lot of pro gamers that are female and ask any one of them, communication with your teammates is an important aspect of team gameplay in eSports. "When was the last time a girl kicked your ass in Counter Strike? Never, because this shit doesn’t happen." Oh, it happens. ;)
*Note: I don't approve of that song choice. Lol.

I have no idea why "attention deficit" has anything to do with female gamers. No where do you put out any math that indicates that "x" percentage of women have "attention deficit" disorder and also are gamers. Nor do you express the amount of guy gamers who have ADD and play games. I still have no idea what this has to do with gaming and females or males. "A girl can only handle casual games… games where you can start and stop at will without investing any predetermined amount of time." *Sigh* This just makes me want to /keyboardface over and over and over again. This is why some girls and guys have a max level character of every class and race in a game? Yeah, they are totally not gamers because of that.

Oh and of course, your final "reason girls suck at gaming" is "complaining about difficulty". Really? Even if they did complain, since when does complaining mean you suck at gaming? I hear all types of gamers - men and women- complain about games in one form another. Most of the time, when a game is too easy, unbalanced or has a terrible game mechanic, I complain. There's nothing wrong with voicing your opinion, but I generally think that gamers love a challenge. Most games provide a challenge and that's why we play them. We want to feel like heroes! We want to slay that powerful dragon that kicks everyone's butt for months so that we can say we did it!

Oh and by the way, your caveat does not make your article less offensive. Find that 42% of gamer girls, do some research, maybe interview a few of them from various gaming backgrounds. You'll find a lot of them have similiar stories to those of your male companions. ;) A lot of those "42% of women gamers" were gamers when they were younger, it just wasn't as acceptable. We were teased for being gamers, not applauded like men and their peers. Finally!!! We are in the age and generation where female gamers are accepted and promoted. We don't have to hide and you're finding more and more of us are coming out of the woodworks. Articles like this are the reason women stay out of the lime light, but I plead with them, please...Be proud of who you are! Don't ever let anyone take that away from you. Kick butt in games and ignore the trolls.

Next time someone wants to write an article about why female gamers suck at games, how about you actually write reasons why they suck at gaming, not reasons why you think that they don't play games that you expect them to play.

<3 x 9001,

/Maggie

Posted in Blog    Tagged with Gaming, Female Gamers, Women in Games, Blog, Twitter Response

23 Comments

Jonathan - July 3rd, 2012 at 4:57 PM
YEAH GO MAGGIE! MAGGIE! MAGGIE! YEAH ! ... TR also.
Kyle - July 3rd, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Sounds like this guy just got beaten by a girl.

BlakKy55
Phil - July 3rd, 2012 at 7:36 PM
The guys who have a problem with female gamers are showing their lack of maturity and insecurity. Guys, let's get past the 12yr old phase where we don't know how to act around girls and just play the game.

Thanks for the post though I am sad you still have to make this argument.
Margaret Krohn - July 3rd, 2012 at 7:41 PM
I agree. Hopefully, there will be a day where I don't have to. :)
Julzerator - July 3rd, 2012 at 7:46 PM
My 64 year old Mom is a gamer. She plays more DS than anyone I know, averaging 6 hours a day!
Adam - July 3rd, 2012 at 9:31 PM
You know I love you, Maggie.
Margaret Krohn - July 3rd, 2012 at 9:36 PM
5% right?
Adam - July 4th, 2012 at 10:00 PM
It's 95% all love.
Margaret Krohn - July 6th, 2012 at 8:56 PM
What's the other 5%?
Khayos - July 7th, 2012 at 10:29 PM
5% Being Butthurt that he got his ass handed to him by a girl. Gamers are all equal Male or Female, but some guys can't get past the blow to their ego. As Phil said 12 year old phase, and for alot of guys it lasts their whole life. When I look at a screen and a bullet enters my Avatar's brain pan, I respawn, get my gun, and hunt the other person down, I don't see gender, just a rival. In any game I recognize skill, and skill has no gender.
Adam - July 18th, 2012 at 8:36 AM
5% is just raw approval that your elite, which is rare for girls.

Gamers are not all equal. Read my new article: http://www.airbornegamer.com/2012/07/17/this-is-why-gamer-girls-are-better-than-us/
Margaret Krohn - July 18th, 2012 at 1:35 PM
This article is even worse than your first article. There's no substance what so ever! You are just continuing to write your opinion of females - whether gamers or not. This one doesn't even have any justification of your opinions.

You do realize a girl who games can also like shopping and hanging out with her girlfriends. That's not a crime and that has no bearing on her skill. A female can be attractive and not stand around half naked "pretending" to be a gamer, she can legitimately have skill. I don't care what percentage of females are skilled gamers or not...If you like gaming and you game, you like gaming and you're a gamer, whether male or female. You don't have to be skilled to be considered a gamer. There are a ton of males who game. How many of them are top tier gamers, percentage wise? I'm guessing not that many.

You should just quit making these terrible articles about female gamers. If you really appreciate us - the true gamers who aren't gaming purely for attention (because let's face it, if you are male or female, you want to be in the lime light at some point in your life) - you will just stop accusing us of being X or Y. As I stated before, get some real substance and interview some gamers, male and female.
Eric Campbell - July 3rd, 2012 at 10:32 PM
"When was the last time a girl kicked your ass in Counter Strike? Never, because this shit doesn’t happen." - omg... the dude is so full of crap. I work every day not 20 feet away from a former world champion counterstrike player. And yes, she's female. Gah... dudes like this really irritate the crap out of me.

I also happen to know Ms. Krohn here pretty well and let me tell you, she is a seriously hardcore gamer. Far more into gaming for the sake of itself than some stupid label... morons.

Not only are there are lot of women gaming, there are a lot of them working in the industry and kicking ass doing it. Over half of my team alone is female. It sounds like this guy is just a dude that's just pissed off he's still not part of the inside.

Alright - my rant is over. Keep kicking ass Luper! ^_^
Margaret Krohn - July 3rd, 2012 at 10:39 PM
We are still in the minority, but the gaming community is growing and female gamer numbers are increasing.
Britton - July 10th, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Maggie, I think you're great and I sympathize with your position here but I kind of have to say that you're doing something I tend to do a lot. That being, you are arguing with someone who is very obviously irrational. A rational person knows that when they make a claim they have to back it up with something concrete, otherwise it's essentially opinionated, uninformed nonsense. As such we feel the need to fill in their ridiculous assertions with actual fact and reason in order to rectify what we feel is an injustice. The problem is these people do not actually care about rationality. If they did they would have used it already. When you come across an article that makes absurd assertions with no evidence to back them then it's simply best to ignore them.

In all likelihood your argument is not going to change any minds. Anyone who is already listening to the article is not going to care about any rational points you bring up because, well, they already bought whatever the writer was saying (likely because it agrees with their own bias). Anyone who doesn't agree with the article, well they are probably already on your side anyway so your arguments would do little to change their minds, but rather enforce what they already believed. You certainly aren't going to change the mind of the writer so honestly, what good is it going to do? In fact, I would go as far as to say replying like this is going to hurt your cause in the long run. After all, the article seemed very much like a troll post to me so reacting is only going to give them ammunition. They do it because it generates buzz, it gets the page views, and it gets people coming back again and again to argue. That kind of brings me to the fact that you're contradicting yourself a little here. You tell your fellow gamers to ignore the trolls and then write out an essay about why this guy is a jerk-off. I know you might be offended by what he said, I know you might hate the shit out of him for being such a dick but don't let him see it. By giving him the time it took you to write this you do yourself a disservice because you let some fuckwad get to you, know what I mean?

Finally, I'd just like to give my 2 cents on the whole situation. I've seen a lot of posts from "girl gamers" over the past couple of months (in seemingly increasing amounts) and I have to be honest, most of it will do more harm than good. Yours is one of the calmer ones and I applaud you for that. However, look at, for example, the post from Aisha Tyler about the flak she got stemming from the Ubisoft presentation at E3. She came off as incredibly defensive, she was confrontational, she was overly sarcastic, and most of all she was childish. Those kinds of things do not help the cause at all. There is a female on Youtube who covers what she calls 'sexism in the media' and she just raised almost $160,000 to make a video on sexism (on sexism against females) in video games. 160k on a movie that comes about simply because she is slightly offended at some characters in entertainment media (in a medium, I might add, that has plenty of sexist male stereotypes as well). People are letting their offended sensibilities take over their lives (if you want proof, just look at our overly-PC society). I think the best solution was best voiced by Morgan Freeman when he talked about racism. He was asked "Well, how are we going to stop racism?" He said "Stop talking about it." I think there is brilliance in those words. I love that you detest the term 'gamer girls', I do too! If anything enforces segregation it's a term that, by definition, segregates! However, in following that, we have to discard our outdated sensibilities. We are allowed to be offended, that's part of being human, but we have to stop striking out when we are offended. We have to stop litigating and legislating based on someone being 'offended'. I believe the only way we are ever going to get rid of segregation is to stop pointing out every single little place where segregation occurs. The people who will segregate, they are going to do it regardless of what you say. Maybe I'm wrong in this, I know the major flaw in this idea is asking people to stick to it and that's not always a reasonable real-world expectation. However, ideally that's how I'd like to do it. I should mention, it's one thing to fight against a legitimate injustice: slavery, actual harassment, things like that. However, at the basest levels of segregation (racism, sexism, nationalism) I say we follow what Mr. Freeman said (obviously not Gordon, he doesn't say much): I won't call you black or white or whatever race you may be, I'll ask that you not call me a white man. We won't go by 'male' or 'female' gamers, we won't be 'hardcore' or 'casual', we'll just be gamers at the basest level: we will be people who play and enjoy games, nothing more, nothing less. The people who don't agree with that, simply ignore them, they aren't worth your worry or time. I don't know, maybe this has all been nonsense, but just my current train of thought on the situation.
Margaret Krohn - July 12th, 2012 at 12:30 AM
I agree that sometimes silence can be the best way to fight back, but this was not specifically about "why girls suck at gaming", but more so the fact that his article was talking about it, he contacted me and he had no relevant facts about the subject of his article. He did respond to this post though as you see above. ;)

I don't think that silence is always the answer though. There's a time and place to speak up and there are wrong and right ways to do so. We've seen both of these cases in our history, especially in the history of women and their rights. If they never spoke up, protested, and made people realize we had a voice and our voice mattered, we wouldn't be able to do the things we are able to in the Americas. Many other countries' women still don't have the rights we do. We should appreciate what we have and fight for other women to have the same choices and rights.
Britton - July 12th, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Fair enough. I definitely agree to speaking out when there is something that is legitimately going to affect someone's life (as was the case with almost all civil rights movements, the only way to change them was to make a racket and stir the pot), I think what I was trying to get at (and probably very poorly, it was early in the morning when I wrote all that >.
Britton - July 14th, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Soooo, my reply got cut off and I don't know why XD.

Just a tl;dr version: What I was really getting at was focusing on problems that are legitimately affecting life and not petty irritants. I just think a focused effort is what we should strive for instead of spending our time litigating men for complementing a woman's new hairstyle or raising hundreds of thousands of dollars to make a movie discussing why video games are sexist against only women.

Anyway, good conversation nonetheless, I always like to hear other opinions.

PS: The new hair looks awesome, was a great stream the other day : ).
Adam - July 18th, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Shit, I should have kept reading down for the TLDR; Ignore the first sentence of my last comment.

The issue isn't about sexism or sexist humor. The issue is about the small subset of gamers who are both female AND hardcore not getting the respect hey earned simply by virtue of the stereotypes created by the rest of the female demographic who are simply not interested in serious gaming.

The problem stems from the fact that digital gaming started out completely male dominated, further exacerbated by society, culture and parental figures. Just like girls are encouraged to play with dolls and not play video games, the opposite is true with boys.

Point of fact is that this is absolutely not fair and creates a setting where hardcore gamers who are female have a tough time capturing that respect where male gamers of the same skills and experience get that respect simply by virtue of having a penis.

While this is not fair, this is also reality and we can't simply change it by ignoring it.

Ok, I'm done being serious now.

Britton - July 18th, 2012 at 12:08 PM
I'm aware that there is a stereotype for the girl gamer, just as I'm aware there is a stereotype for an Xbox live player. Does that make it any more correct? No. If you were going for a humorous post then it might help to...you know, inject some humor. There was a distinct lack of anything approaching a decent joke past the first paragraph. If you want to do work in comedy then fine, that's great, just make sure you are actually funny first. Otherwise you're the next Daniel Tosh.

Basically, any way you cut it the article was a bit of a failure. Either you wanted to be funny and just came off as ranting about women or you wanted to be serious and didn't back up any of your claims.

Finally, yeah I write long paragraphs. The lines don't even span half the page, it's a normal sized paragraph. Sorry if that's too much for you.
Adam - July 18th, 2012 at 8:41 AM
That's a whole lot of words without paragraph breaks, can you throw a TLDR; at the bottom?

To reply to the only part I read, the first paragraph. I have a lot of legitimate respect for Maggie and her position.

Doesn't make what I write any less humorous, but I can appreciate the response from her perspective combined with taking the article seriously.
Margaret Krohn - July 18th, 2012 at 1:27 PM
It's not a matter of taking the article in a serious or humorous light. The fact that people continue making articles like this with no real evidence of their accusations, even if they think they are "joking", continues to hinder the female gamer base.
Billy6guns - July 15th, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Well, i must say that i agree with BOTH articles.

There are some totally kick butt gamer girls out there... quite a few in fact.

This however does not change the fact that *MOST* girls will actually roll their eyes at you if you declare that your a gamer. Just as he said in his article it is very true that a large percentage of women believe that games (and gamers) are beneath them.

This i feel is a throwback to socially accepted attitude that "girls don't game". It is *I believe* that women are perfectly capable of excelling as gamers.... but CHOOSE not to. Do they truly find games uninteresting? there is definatly a large niche of female gamers. But as he mentioned in his article that *MOST* women would rather pursue other means of entertainment (even though he was somewhat degrading on what those forms of entertainments were).